Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sit at the Feet of Jesus

I personally find this story in Luke 10:38-42 (NIV) quite fascinating:

“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Who do you find yourself more like these days? Mary or Martha? Busy and distracted by all the preparations that need to be made and work that needs to be done, or full by sitting at the Lord’s feet listening to what he is saying to you as He leads you, your life and your ministry? One of our greatest challenges as Christians is to remain full in Him.

Now, is it wrong for us to work and get things done? No. But, it is better to spend time with Jesus. What is worse? When we become so busy, worried and upset that we do not spend time with Jesus. I’m afraid to say that is probably true of many Christians. We become so busy, so distracted, so worried and so upset we forget what is better – to sit at the feet of Jesus, listen to Him, learn from Him and depend on Him to guide us in our daily lives and ministries.

Here is a poem titled “Busy vs. Full” (Author Unknown):

Busy is frantic, shallow, stressed, out of control.
Full is satisfying, fruitful, paced and controlled, rich.

Busy takes control of time and energy.
Full renews my strength and comes from a life under the Spirit.

Busy is the broken cistern that cannot hold water.
Full flows from the spring of living water.

Busy declares, “I’m important, I’m indispensable. I have value because so many people need me and my services.”
Full says, “Apart from Christ, I can do nothing, but with Him all things are possible. I need Him.”

Busy is driven, pushed.
Full is called.

Busy is motivated by the “Badge of busyness,” loving to talk about how busy one is, receiving sympathy or admiration for busyness.
Full is motivated by pleasing the Father, performing for an audience of One.

Busy gets results.
Full brings rewards.

Busy is distracted by many things, worries, concerned, wondering why no one else is helping and why no one else seems to care.
Full is receiving, trusting God as the provider and source.

Busy says, “Don’t bother me right now, I don’t have time.”
Full says, “Come, rest, and drink in abundance.”

Lamentations 3:26a says, “The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him…” Lord, help us to be more like Mary who “has chosen what is better.”

1 comment: