Thursday, January 5, 2012

Live as an Example for Jesus Christ

Several years ago, I saw a bumper sticker on the back of a car that read, “Don’t follow me, I’m lost, too!”


Christians should heed this warning. What kind of example do we show to other people? Do we live as an example for Jesus Christ? Do other people around us know that we are true followers of Jesus?


It is often stated that only 2% of deaf people in the world are Christians. What is one major obstacle that prevents deaf people from knowing Jesus?


I believe one of our greatest barriers is that many Christians do not live as a wonderful example for Jesus Christ. To non-Christians we look like the bumper sticker quoted above, “I’m lost! Don’t follow me!”


Jesus gives us excellent advice in Matthew 5:16, “In the same way, you should be a light for other people. Live so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.”


Growing up, my parents were a light for me. My parents did many wonderful things for me. Their lives were a good example for me to follow, especially because they followed Jesus. Though they were not the best signers in the world, my parents did the best they could to use sign language to teach me about Jesus. Through their example and sharing Jesus with me, I came to know Jesus as my Lord and personal Savior.


One of the best ways to reach out to deaf people is to be an example for Jesus Christ. Deaf (and hearing) people will be drawn to Jesus through our actions, attitudes, and what we communicate with them.


Many deaf people need to know Jesus. They need to know that Jesus is “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6). We should be an example so that they may see Jesus as the only way, life, and truth.


If we truly follow the example of Christ, we ought to put bumper stickers on the back of our cars that quote the words of the Apostle Paul
in I Corinthians 11:1, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”

No comments:

Post a Comment