Monday, March 7, 2011

Bethlehem

Here we are in Bethlehem. We drove down south from Jerusalem and struggled a bit trying to find the right road to Bethlehem. After over 30 minutes of driving, we finally found a sign leading us to this city.

But...

There is a checkpoint there. It was a division between Israel and Palestine. There were soldiers with guns and the wall was so high that you couldn't see on the other side. When we passed the checkpoint, a man stood in front of us demanding us to pull over. Then he offered us a tour for a fee. We politely declined. He was pretty persistent but with a firm handshake and a firm "no", we were able to move on.

We entered Bethlehem. The city was interesting. It is in the Palestine territory. As we drove on, Jose encouraged me to park at a restaurant because he was urging to eat breakfast. A man was sitting outside listening to music from his ipod nano. We ate brunch and chatted with this nice Palestinian. He shared with us his disappointment with Israel and showed up a hill where Israel took over and built condominiums. That made the Palestinians angry. The mood around the city wasn't as pleasant as in the Jewish area.

He was so helpful to us by joining us through Bethlehem arriving at the site of Milk Grotto and Church of the Nativity (Jesus' birthplace).

Driving through Bethlehem enroute to Milk Grotto and Church of the Nativity.

Milk Grotto where it is said that Mary, Jesus' mother, spilt her milk. We asked where it was and a man showed us the location which is on a rocky ceiling that is powdery white, i.e. dried milk.

Beautiful scenery. Hills, hills, hills!

Inside the Church of the Nativity. Of course, this wasn't what it was during Jesus' birth. A church was built over the birthplace.

Jesus' birth "shrine" is downstairs. It was packed with people witnessing the place!

Then we left Bethlehem and crossed the checkpoint. Then just a stone's throw, in between two great walls separating the Palestines and Israel yet in Israeli territory, we went to Rachel's tomb. And inscription can be read about Rachel's tomb including some Scriptures just outside Rachel's tomb.



It is believed that Rachel is buried in the black tomb. Jewish men were on one side and the women on the other. They cannot be together in worship before God or a monument such as the Wailing Wall. Just as during biblical times, it remains today that Jewish men and women remains separate in worship.

More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, guys! I am enjoying reading of your travels. You need to make a video "testimony" and put it on DVD for your peeps in USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rev. Mark and Rev. Jose, Thanks for sharing your messsage and photos from Holy Land. Those photos remind me to remember about my Devoted Christian Grandparents traveled with their Christian Group Tour to Holy Land during time of 1970's. I was 7 years old in Kansas State School for the Deaf while I did not know about my Grandparents' trip to Holy Land. I remembered about my Uncle took his film camera to me and my Grandma in our action with our same Birthdays with cake on the bird bath while I saw Uncle hold his camera to us. Later, My Grandpa borrowed my Uncle's camera before Grandparents flew to Isreal on first time while they were on tour and filmed over there. I was 15 years old when Grandpa, 73 was passed away in 1981 and turned to Grandma, 76 was passed away in 1982. I found a film reel in my Uncle's house in Topeka, KS and borrowed it. My Daddy and I left Topeka and I started to watch a movie on My Daddy's film projector in his home. I realized and watched it including our old Birthdays ( Grandma and me) and Holy Land.
    I was glad to memorize from a reel before it disappeared in 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete