Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Via Dolorosa

The Via Dolorosa (Latin for Way of Grief or Way of Suffering) is a street, in two parts, within the Old City of Jerusalem (Christian Quarter and Moslem Quarter), held to be the path that Jesus walked, carrying his cross, on the way to His crucifixion.

The Via Dolorosa Sign


Station #1:


Map of Via Dolorosa where Jesus had to carry and drag the heavy cross:


Stations...


Station #2:


Station #3:


Station #4:


Let me explain what is happening here at Station #4.. It's a funny, well, maybe not so funny story. This man approached Jose at Station #3 asking if he needs help. Jose was looking for #3 and the man showed him the way to it just a couple steps away. Then he became so attached to us with great persuasion showing us inside Station #3. Then proceeded to #4 real quick then into the hotel on a journey to the roof of the hotel! You can see 180 degree around from the top overlooking Jerusalem! It was awesome! He wanted to lead us through the rest of the Stations and we politely declined.

But he was still sticking with us. When we got back into the City Market, this man came to me demanding $200 shekels for the tour. I explained in gesture that if he had already made an offer how much it will cost us to pay for his short tour, then we would make that decision. I keep persuading him that he failed to do that. Then he dropped the price to $50 shekels! My patience was wearing out. Then this man jumped back to Jose (pictured above) at Station #4. I walked away down to Station #5 in hope Jose would shake that monkey off his back.

Success? Definitely no! He clinged to Jose then jumped back to me demanding $50!!! I gave up! I told him to stand over there and he quickly stood over there because I didn't want him close to my wallet.. I gave him a $5 in U.S. dollar which is about $15 in shekels and a $1 in U.S. which is about $3 shekels. He demanded another $5 in U.S. and I had one more in my wallet.

This is the funny part (or not).. Jose came up to him persuading him to leave with the money he has. The man grabbed Jose's fingers and twisted it. Then he slapped Jose on his cheek, not once but TWICE!! I was there! Then I gave him the five and told him to leave.

Did he leave? Finally yes!!!

The moral of this story was that we felt persecuted by this man over a scheme that he had. We felt the same in how Jesus felt as he walked carrying the cross through this area being yelled at, spit at, objects thrown at him, etc. And just like Satan had a plan with Judas giving Jesus a kiss on the cheek, Jose got his two slap! And Jose made this comment: "I don't know why he didn't slap you, maybe because you're taller than him but I accepted it, for you just like Jesus did for us!" Ha!

Station #5:


Station #6:


Station #7:


Station #8:


Station #9:


The place where Jesus was crucified (inside the Church of the Sepulchre):


A shrine where Jesus was crucified (it is where they believed he was but we don't know for sure):



More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment